How you can contribute to the conservation and development of Monteverde
There are several ways in which you can contribute to the development and the conservation of Monteverde, we will tell you how:
- Monetary donations to the Monteverde Community Fund (envelope in the room)
- Collaborate with the recycling program at the hotel
- When you shop, do it in the Monteverde community or at local businesses to ensure that the investment you are making is going directly to the local producers and merchandisers and is therefore helping the local socio-economic development.
Advice for Responsible Tourism
Travelers can have a large impact on the communities that they visit. We recommend the following practices of responsible tourism to enrich your experience and your positive impact.
Culture: Research your vacation destination and its culture ahead of time. Understanding the language, local customs, and expected behaviors on behalf of travelers can make your experience more comfortable and your presence welcome.
Reservations and Purchases: Choose products, tour operators, and travel agencies that are responsible through research of their commercial practices and certifications by recognized programs.
Transportation: Try alternative methods of transport such as walking, buses, bicycles, boats, or other forms of mass transit. Reduce your greenhouse gas emissions as much as possible to help local environmental conservation programs.
Sexual Exploitation: Sexual exploitation of minors is a crime and is penalized with up to 16 years in prison.
Negotiation: Keep in mind that the livelihoods of many salespeople depend on tourism and selling to visitors. Pay a fair price when negotiating for items.
Resources and natural landscapes: Use water with caution and avoid practices that contaminate local water sources or bodies of water such as lakes, rivers, and oceans. Of course, do not throw trash, this includes cigarette butts, and always recycle, if possible.
Wildlife exploration: Observe wildlife from an adequate distance. Binoculars or telescopes provide the best close up of an animal’s natural behavior.
Reflection: After your vacation experience, reflect on what you have learned about people and places visited, as well as about oneself. Share these experiences and points of view with others.
Recommendations to apply at home
It is important to build awareness at home and to make certain measures part of our daily living and part of each individual’s lifestyle. Here are some recommendations to apply at home to be a part of the change toward environmental conservation:
- Turn off computers at night, do not leave them on or in hibernation mode.
- Use both sides of a piece of paper, both for printing and for taking notes. After using them, why not collect them and take them to a recycling station?
- Avoid consuming bottled water. Use a reusable container or drink from the faucet.
- Turn off the faucet when you are brushing your teeth. You will save almost 4 liters of water and it is a good example of how to take care of the environment.
- Shorten your showers. For each minute less in the shower you will save almost 20 liters of water.
- Recycle glass containers. Remember that glass takes a million years to decompose in nature.
- Turn off lights when you are not needing them.
- Avoid unnecessary mail, you will save hundreds of trees from being cut down to make paper.
- Use matches instead of lighters, these decompose more easily.
- Do not use a paper phone book, use an online directory on your computer.
- Avoid washing your car in a car wash. Wash your car at home using a container of water and rags. Do not use a hose because it wastes a lot of water.
- Request online bank statements, this will avoid using unnecessary paper.
- Buy rechargeable batteries; although they are more expensive than conventional batteries, you will recuperate your investment in the long term and will avoid further contamination.
- Pay your bills online, you will save millions of trees being cut per year.
- Use reusable bags, plastic bags accumulate and damage the environment.
- Buy groceries in bulk, you will avoid buying unnecessary things and will generate less trash.
- Plant a tree, you will add value to the property and help preserve the environment.
- Walk or ride a bicycle whenever you can because it is better for the environment and your health.
- Bury leftover food to create fertilizer. I assure you that taking care of the environment requires the use of your imagination.